From July 10 to August 12, 2017
Target avg age
Sustainable Development Goal
Good Health and Well-Being
Health and Wellness
The main purpose of the project is “the mental health”. This project focus on depression, a common mental health issue involving persistent sadness or loss of interest or pleasure in activities normally enjoyed. It may express itself as disturbed sleep or appetite, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, or feelings of tiredness and lethargy. Depression can also make itself known through agitation or physical restlessness, substance abuse, reduced concentration, and suicidal thoughts or acts. Thus “Alight Yourself” is completely aligned with JCI Plan of Action.
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Over the course of your life, if you experience mental health problems, our thinking, mood, and behavior could be affected. Many factors contribute to mental health problems, including:
• Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
• Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
• Family history of mental health problems
Mental health problems are common but help is available. People with mental health problems can get better and many recover completely.
Not sure if you or someone you know is living with mental health problems? Experiencing one or more of the following feelings or behaviors can be an early warning sign of a problem:
• Eating or sleeping too much or too little
• Pulling away from people and usual activities
• Having low or no energy
• Feeling numb or like nothing matters
• Having unexplained aches and pains
• Feeling helpless or hopeless
• Smoking, drinking, or using drugs more than usual
• Feeling unusually confused, forgetful, on edge, angry, upset, worried, or scared
• Yelling or fighting with family and friends
• Experiencing severe mood swings that cause problems in relationships
• Having persistent thoughts and memories you can’t get out of your head
• Hearing voices or believing things that are not true
• Thinking of harming yourself or others
• Inability to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work or school
Target Group: Students within 13 to 18 years of age of Lalmatia Girl’s High School. Our targeted population is 100 children.
There will be 2 types of awareness campaigns among the school children and the target population.
“Alight Yourself” will be a sustainable project and it will create awareness among the adolescence to speak their mind. The nature of this project is – PILOT PROJECT. After its success, we have plans to cover more schools/college in near future.
Visiting Lalmatia Girls’ College especially HSC Students of Class 11 and 12, we have found out the problems by a questionnaire in taking appropriate decisions.
- The project was held at Lalmatia Mohila College. The session was conducted by Professor Ajoy Dasgupta, Deputy Editor, Daily Samokal as well Professor of Dhaka University & Jagonnath University and Professor Dr. Ehsanul Hauqe, Chairman of Edusoft Consultants Ltd. It was an interactive session between the speakers and the selected students of HSC level.
- The target group was the students within the age between 16 years to 18 years. The main focus of the project is “the mental health”.
- This project focus on depression, a common mental health issue involving persistent sadness or loss of interest or pleasure in activities normally enjoyed.
- To increase awareness among the school children, firstly, we had to go through a questionnaire survey. Then the specialists talked on the subject and there was an QA session.
- The speakers talked how to fight with depression, share their thoughts and open their minds. After the session, we distributed another questionnaire and measured the positive changes in their knowledge on development of mental health.
- We found positive changes among their answers and outcome of this project is positive.
• The JCI Mission
To provide development opportunities that empower young people to create positive change.
If we take the key words, Development opportunities , Empower young people, positive change, we can see –
Alight Yourself – is a wonderful project where most members of JCI DHAKA NORTH have joined as a team, Using their skills and knowledge in the project, learning to run a project by division of responsibilities, which is making them better leaders as well as team players. It is a great project by which the young people can create positive changes in the society.
• The JCI Vision
To be the leading global network of young active citizens.
Again if we take the key words, global network and young active citizens,
We can see this project has plans to ally with several partners with the potential educational institution like Lalmatia Girls’ College. The Active Citizens links civil society, community leaders and networks of young people and organizations which truly defines JCI, JCI BANGLADESH and JCI DHAKA NORTH. And we, young active citizens are here to make greater impact on society by the help of global network.