Together We Care - 'Best Friend of Dementia'
From January 1 to December 31, 2017
All sectors of society in HKSAR. Especially young people who aged 15 to 40 and elderly.
Target avg age
Sustainable Development Goal
Good Health and Well-Being
Health and Wellness
There are multiple objectives in Together We Care - Best Friend of Dementia:
1. To promote the message of ͞Early Detection, Early Treatment to public that helps to slow down the degeneration of brain function through cognitive training
2. To raise young people’s concern on dementia. Through their active participation, spread the message to their parents and grandparents as well as the community
3. To raise public awareness and enhance their understanding of the Dementia
4. To create Dementia-friendly community to patients and their caregivers
Together We Care͟ is a new Community Development Projected launched by JCI Kowloon that we aim to explore difference social issues in Hong Kong each year such as Health, Education, Housing Issue and Environment
Since October 2016, the Together We Care Organizing Committee has conducted an analysis on community needs. According to Hong Kong Population Projection from Hong Kong Census and Statistics Department, the
aging population will increase to 2.57 million in 2064 compared to 1.08 million in 2014. It showed that Hong Kong has became an aging society rapidly. Elderly health is one of our concerns in contemporary society.
Dementia is a global health issue. The World Health Organization (WHO) reports the number of people with Dementia in worldwide will be 75.6 million in 2030 and 135.5 million in 2050 due to average life expectancy is
increasing. It also reports that a new case of dementia is diagnosed every 4 seconds. According to Hospital Authority, it is estimated that around 5 to 8 out of every 100 persons among persons aged over 65 diagnosed to have
Dementia. The patients who diagnosed with such disease were experiencing them at a younger age.
Dementia is our topic of Together We Care with the the,e of ͞Best Friend of Dementia/BEST FRIEND APPROACH is our approach in this project. We aim to promote and invite young people to be the 'Best Friend of Dementia' Youth Ambassadors. The public has low general awareness of Dementia that lack of understanding of
the Dementia, patients were always discovered their symptoms in its middle and final stage. WHO mentioned there is stigmatization and barriers to diagnosis and care. Recently, caregivers have suggested the Hong Kong
Government to provide more support to patients and caregivers as well as to strengthen the public and private efforts to improve the services.
- successfully collected over 500 questionnaires from young people
who aged 18 to 40
- successfully conducted the press conference for releasing the result of over 500
questionnaires. Over 300 participants joined our Kick-off ceremony
- successfully recruited over 80 Youth Ambassadors to attend the three sessions of Training and Elderly Home Visit in July 2017
- gained the basic knowledge of Dementia through the booth games; had a quick screening testto know if they have potential to be diagnosed with Dementia; to spread out the message of the importance of understanding Dementia by sending out postcards. We also recognized the Dementia-friendly Caring Shops. Over 300 participants and 40 Youth Ambassadors joined our Kick-off ceremony. 100 questionnaires (Quick Screening Test) have been completed and 80 postcards were drawn by participants for sending out
- Over ten shops were accepted to be Dementia-friendly shops. 'Best Friend of Dementia' logo was put up in their shop for recognition
- To broaden our promotion targets
- To build up more new partnership with supporting organization
- To connect with more sister chapters and overseas organizations as the topic "Dementia" is a global issue